OpenIndiana follows currently a rolling-release model and all the development is focused on Hipster.
This series was a direct descendant of the OpenSolaris project and compatible with legacy installations.
It is now unmaintained.
This series is built using the oi-userland with GCC and consists in the effort to modernize OpenIndiana.
Migration of consolidations:
The list of packages remaining for migration from X11 (XNV) and Desktop (JDS) consolidations can be consulted on the Wiki: only a small number of packages remains
If you would like to contribute, pick a component in the list and get started with building with oi-userland.
On the menu for snapshot 2016.04:
- Move away from SunSSH to OpenSSH
Update Firefox to version 43[PR#1540, PR#1617] Add multimedia libraries and VLC 2.2.1 to hipster-encumbered[PR#1616] Update Thunderbird to version 38[PR#1754]
Current work in progress:
Update NTFS-3G[#PR1883] Provide the Go programming language[PR#1902]
- Provide GCC 5.3 [PR#1965] and GCC 6.1
- Update of Pulseaudio to 8.0
- Migration to Gstreamer 1.0
- Move to MATE desktop environment 1.14
- Update of Xorg server to 1.17.4
- Integration of Intel KMS driver port by Martin Bochnig
On the menu for later snapshots:
- Resurrect the IPS package manager GUI deprecated by upstream
- Update the Nimbus GTK theme for support of GTK3
- Refesh the installer code
- Update the Device Driver Utility
- more ideas are available on the Wiki.