OpenIndiana is currently divided in two branches: one legacy release and one leading edge rolling-release.
Legacy a.k.a “151a”
This series is a direct descendant of the OpenSolaris project and is thus compatible with legacy installations.
This series is built using the oi-userland with GCC and consists in the unstable branch of OpenIndiana.
Migration of consolidations: the list of packages remaining for migration from X11 (XNV) and Desktop (JDS) consolidations can be consulted on the Wiki. If you would like to contribute, pick a component in the list and get started with building with oi-userland.
Other issues on the roadmap are (in no particular order):
- update Xorg server;
- integrate Intel KMS driver;
- move to MATE desktop environment;
- resurrect the IPS package manager GUI deprecated by upstream;
- update the Nimbus GTK theme for support of GTK3;
- refesh the installer code;
- rewrite libddudev;
- more ideas are available on the Wiki.
Issues which are going to be solved until next snapshot:
- move away from SunSSH to OpenSSH;
- update Firefox; [PR#1540, PR#1617]
- add VLC to hipster-encumbered; [PR#1616]